IFÁ 403 Main Page
Introduces students to critically thinking from an Indigenous Yorùbá Religious philosophical orientation. The Ẹsẹ Ifá is the foundation of Òrìṣà academic subject matter for Priest and Priestess of Ifá. Through recitation and analysis of Ifá Orature, students will develop skills to refine their moral compass to train as interdependent community leaders who will resolve an array of communal problems for a diverse body of clients. Students will develop and support ideas; investigate, evaluate, and incorporate appropriate resolutions based on the stories and verses from the implicated Odù. Writing activities will include at least one researched essay. Lecture 4 hours per week.
General Course Purpose
IFÁ 403 will prepare students for the religious vocation as Divining Priest or Priestess of Ifá. Students will identify the Odù of the Àpólà Ọyẹ̀kú; the proper names, order, memorize the chant and apply philosophy indicated within each verse to properly clients solely based on the implicated wisdom of Ifá. Students will be able to investigate and articulate the 8 parts of each Ifá poem.
Goal One: Ifá Kíkí
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to memorize and chant two poems from each of the Àpólà Ọyẹ̀kú.
- They will be able to memorize and recount stories from each Odù.
- They will be able to chant in Yorùbá with vividness, effectiveness while understanding the English translation.
Goal Two: Ẹbọ Rírú
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to explain, describe and inform in expository writing a solution-oriented method to which Òrìṣà (religious deity) should be petitioned to and propitiated for faith-based resolve.
- They will be able to incorporate several Òrìṣà for solutions based on philosophy.
- They will be able to use means of evocation and invocation of Òrìṣà and other natural elements.
- They will be able to present items for indemnification.
Goal Three: Ìwàpẹ̀lẹ́
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to analyze and investigate ideas, theories and present them to articulate proper human behavior and moral character.
- They will be able to create theories of human behavior.
- Forecast predicted outcomes based on the choice and values.
- Guide clients to success by applying implied knowledge of the moral character.
- Produce an expanded consciousness and seek means of harmony with animals, plants, and humans.
Major Topics to be Included